Monday, July 6, 2009

I figured I'd go all out

... and try to do a garden photo post that's actually (somewhat) interesting and (somewhat) aesthetically pleasing. I'd resigned myself yesterday to posting some photos no matter how boring, but I reconsidered and tried to see what I could do with the heretofore unexplored settings on my humble camera. Hello, depth of field. Nice to meet you, macro setting.

So. The garden's progressed quite a bit since the last time I took you on a tour. The closest little seedlings in that shot were kohlrabi, and today they look like this:

Hi, I'm kohlrabi.

I'm awesome but I insist on shading everything around me.



The beets are doing really well, too:


Some day soon, they'll be turned into delicious and somewhat nutritious chocolate cake.



The tomato plants, yellowing and puny as they were a couple weeks ago, are now starting to flourish:

The tallest leaves there are actually from the string beans one row over. They're flourishing, too.



As always, the peppers are the slowest to show any progress at all. This picture is a little misleading; without a lot of perspective, it's easy to miss the fact that this plant is only a couple inches tall, tops. Peppers might get cut from the list next year.

Macro setting, yo.



Finally (because the leeks, raspberries, peas, scallions, cucumbers, and watermelon are shy today), we've been eating lots of salad lately and haven't used store bought lettuce for at least a month. The full grown lettuces aren't very photogenic, but my favorite shot of the day is of some romaine seedlings hanging out in a container at the edge of the driveway. They need to pick up the pace a little in order to be ready for salads when we run out of the other varieties, but for now they're pretty darn cute:

2 comments:

L said...

Your garden is lovely. My garden is embarrassing and sad. I keep blaming it on Alaska, but we've had lovely weather. So I think it's the gardener.

craftosaurus said...

Thank you! Also, don't feel bad; I think any success I'm having is directly related to all the extra time I've got to invest in weeding, watering, etc. Fab garden AND full time employment might not even be possible simultaneously. :)