You might recall that my list of goals for 2008 included designing and writing a knitting pattern to (hopefully) get published. You might further recall the goals assessment at the 2008 midpoint a couple weeks ago, wherein I resigned myself to knitting from patterns for the time being, as I was devoid of inspiration for any new designs.
Following the Thermal moebius debacle of last week, I decided to shift my focus to something more summer-appropriate and landed on the Drop Stitch Lace tank from Fitted Knits. Finding no suitable yarn for that in my stash, I ventured forth to acquire some. Yes, I know, I'd said previously that I was "committed to reducing the stash" this year, but apparently such commitment was not overly strong. In fact, the commitment was really downright spineless when I got to the store and found a bunch of dk-weight (I think) wool on sale for $2 a skein. Um, I may have bought six of them. I'm not sure whether it's helpful or unhelpful in justifying the purchase, but I found nothing to use for the DSL tank.
Rather than detouring to another store in search of summery, cotton-blend goodness, I made a beeline home so as to avoid further hits to my bank account and anti-pack-rat efforts, repeating to myself "I will use yarn I already own. I will use yarn I already own. I will use yarn I already own." When I realized that my new bargain wool would be, I suspect, perfect for a type of garment for which I've not been able to find quite the right pattern, I broke out the pencil and paper and measuring tape. That's right, folks, I've found ye olde inspiration and will be designing something for which I'll hopefully be able to write up a formal pattern. I'm not saying what it's going to *be* just yet, though, lest I jinx the whole thing. But in my head, it's beauteous and lovely.
Seriously, though, who knew? All I had to do was tell myself I was uninspired, and my subconscious apparently took the challenge. Reverse psychology on myself, I say! I wonder if I can use that for other things: my hatred of dishwashing, perhaps...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment