Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I must be having fun...

... because time has been flying. Can you believe 2008 is half over already? Let's do a little assessment of progress on this year's goals, shall we?

1. Begin and complete renovation of the Rustic Attic

Success! It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but Attic Renovation 2008 is complete, and I'm very pleased with the result. Would be even more pleased with the result if I was better about keeping it tidy every day, but that's another issue.

2. Decide on and implement new look for the kitchen

Hmm. I don't know if this is going to happen during 2008 after all. Several reasons, really. My energy, creativity, and bank account were pretty zapped as a result of Attic Renovation 2008. Also, I think the next house expenditure will probably involve getting the windows replaced throughout the first floor. Less exciting, but probably more necessary. Also a better investment from an energy efficiency standpoint.

3. Purge house of unnecessary clutter (or at least reduce said clutter)

Um. Sort of. When I've found time to sort through my stuff, I've been more ruthless and honest with myself about things I will likely never ever ever need in the future, and reassuring myself that if I do ever need said item in the future, I'll likely be able to obtain another one. Yes, this goes against my anti-consumerism and conservationist ideals, but at a certain point pragmatism has to take over. Besides, that which I don't need right now could be better put to use if I hand it off to Goodwill, etc.

4. Get a knitting pattern published

Nope. I've been knitting from patterns lately, not making up anything new, and this is not the sort of creativity you can force, I've found. I'm also a little discouraged because magknits is now defunct, and I had sort of pegged them as the publication I'd submit to, knitty being much more intimidating and inspiring in me a constant, faint refrain of "I'm not worthy..."

5. Be able to run a 5k again (am signed up for one in March), then improve my time (will sign up for at least one over the summer)

Well, hmmm. I didn't run the 5k in March, and I'm not signed up for any to date. I've been running a leeetle bit, and I could get back to 5k abilitiy if (a) I had more time, (b) I had more motivation, and (c) it would stop raining all the freakin' time. Really, though, those are all just excuses, and I should just make myself do what I know I can do. I also need to FORCE myself to go to bed at bedtime so I can get up early enough in the morning to go to the gym. Seriously.

4. Cook and eat real dinners, even if I'm eating by myself (heavy emphasis on soups and vegetables)

Eh, yes and no. I haven't been making elaborate dinners, but definitely incorporating more vegetables (mmmmm, asparagus simmered in garlicky tomatoes), and there have been fewer cereal-as-main-course incidents.

5. Have a rockin' vegetable garden

I have a vegetable garden! It isn't rockin' yet, but hopefully that's only because it's still a little early. Even if I don't harvest lots of veggies, it's still fun. And I can say I'm a cool chick with a vegetable garden. :)

6. Figure out what the heck to do with the decorative garden beds around the house

See above re: raining all the freakin' time.

7. Bust out the sewing machine and use up some of my languishing fabric

Sewing machine is out, and has been used in recent memory (to make curtains). Additional use pending transition of what was the MiniBedroom to Office/Guest Room/Craft Room. It's taken a detour to Storage Monstrosity, so we'll see.

8. Decide on and pursue a volunteering opportunity

Gah! I know, I should totally do this. I feel like I never have enough time for the things I want to do as it is, but I know logically that I could find time if I really tried. *guilt*

9. Start up an IRA again; look into other investment approaches

Still need to do this. Was going to at the beginning of the year to get a contribution in for 2007 as well, but Attic Renovation 2008 took all my money. I've decided that I'll consider this a success as long as it gets done by the end of the year. In the meantime, I'm also throwing extra money at my student loans every month, to whittle away at the principal faster than my required payments would.

10. Update blog consistently and hopefully more interestingly

Consitently, yes. More interestingly? I hope so! I'm getting more comments lately, so hopefully that's an indication that I'm not putting folks to sleep. :)

So we've got 1, 5, and 10 as possible successes. Maybe 4 as well, if we're feeling generous. Six months left - let's see how many more items I can tackle. Stay tuned...

No comments: