Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Eventful Morning

The gubernatorial race is still too close to call, so that's definitely not what I'm talking about.

Nope, the morning was eventful for an entirely separate reason (unless you consider a symbolic connection, if you believe the natural world has an awareness of current events as well as a bitingly sarcastic sense of humor).



If you look closely, on and next to the fence, those are wild turkeys. There were six of them walking across our neighbor's yard this morning, but all but those two had become shy by the time I grabbed my camera.



I also learned, despite my previous assumptions (based on what exactly, I'm not sure), that wild turkeys are capable of flight.



Hmmm. Who else is ready for Thanksgiving? I feel a sudden desire to incorporate cranberry sauce into tonight's dinner...

4 comments:

Justin said...

Wild turkeys can indeed fly. They can also run into cars. I was driving down a side street when a wild turkey ran out from a yard straight into my passenger door, then immediately turned 180 degrees and ran back into the yard, both of us going back to our normal business as though he never ran out with the seemingly sole purpose of bumping his face on my door.

craftosaurus said...

Interesting! I'm glad they left our cars alone -- a pack of turkeys could have done some damage, I bet. Turkey thugs.

Andrea said...

Boston actually has a lot of wild turkeys. They hang out on my grad school campus, and public safety would send emails warning us not to "provoke the turkeys". They are big and scary and will chase you if they feel like it!

craftosaurus said...

Hmm. Definitely don't want to be chased by a wild turkey! Yikes!