
My mother outdid herself. The six test cakes she slaved over (of which at least two were multi-tiered) were worth the effort. The frosting was perfectly executed, and the cake topper took about as much money, time, and effort as I think any cake topper should take (which is to say, very little), but still managed to be a perfect visual addition.
More importantly, the cake was delicious. Like, the venue staff was amazed how little was left at the end of the night, it was so delicious. I know for a fact that one bridesmaid had three slices (if that's not validation of yummy cake, I don't know what is). Said bridesmaid's husband also apparently had a hilarious conversation with my mother wherein he caused her to be thoroughly flustered -- and likely red as a boiled lobster -- because of 1) well-deserved compliments on the cake, and 2) profanity for emphasis as to just how very impressed he was. Mom's a little faint of heart with the language...

During the reception, The Amazing Husband and I each had about as much cake as one can eat in the time it takes a group of family and friends to snap a few photos. Not surprisingly, we didn't really consume much of the non-cake food while mingling and dancing and taking in the evening, either. I suppose we could have set up a table for us to make sure we got some sustenance, but then we would have missed out on a lot of really fun conversations and interactions with our nearest and dearest. (Plus, everyone would have been watching us eat. No thanks.) The Amazing Husband, it should be noted, needs vast quantities of nutrition to appease his overachieving metabolism, so just "not eating" wasn't really a good way to go.
What's a freshly married couple to do?
You book your wedding at a venue where the staff is so awesome, they'll pack up leftovers for you (and surprise you with two complete, unrequested meals, in case the leftovers aren't sufficient) and let you hang out with your spouse in the industrial kitchen after the festivities have ended, eating phyllo-wrapped asparagus, priscutto-wrapped grilled peaches, and pieces of mangled wedding cake with your fingers. And you talk and you laugh and you rehash the previous ten hours, and you enjoy the most memorable meal of your entire life.
That's what you do.

3 comments:
aw, that image actually made me cry. no joke. so sweet! and the cake *was* yummy!
It's a strong contender for Favorite Part of the Whole Day. Which I think is largely because it wasn't planned or expected.
It's tough to beat that for Favorite Part of the Whole Day. I love you so much! :-D
Post a Comment