
It gets better, though. These tomatoes weren't thriving in the confines of our raised beds and chickenwire fencing. Oh, no. They're from a very prolific plant that grew directly out of our compost bin.

They also look like plum tomatoes, which means they wouldn't have grown from a tomato seedling that got thinned from the garden and put in the compost, but from a seed of a plum tomato that we'd purchased from the grocery store. Crazy and impressive! SuperTomatoes! I feel like I should put little capes on each of them.
... Or I could figure out what to cook with green tomatoes. Any ideas?

7 comments:
I have an idea for the color of the capes.... :-D
Pie! Green tomato pie. Apparently it tastes like apple pie. My grandmother used to make it all the time. I don't recall ever eating it because I was revolted by the idea of eating green tomatoes.
I'm going to stick by my stand by recommendation for green tomatoes, because I love them so much: fried green tomatoes! Also, green tomato relish is really really good. Also, I bet you could substitute them for tomatillos and make sort of a green tomato enchilada sauce.
If you make fried green tomatoes, will you mail them to me? Pretty please?
M, yes! I've found a few recipes for green tomato pie via The Google. Weird, but I suppose potentially awesome?
L, I think I might have to make fried green tomatoes just so you can have some in spirit. And you know I'd send some to you if I could. Did you ever hear the story about the time I overnighted a sandwich (and it was returned to me three months later)?
Also, for Mr. Circus: PAISLEY!
How about green tomato relish. I've been making the same relish for around 2o years and most people who try it beg for more. Let me know if you might want the recipe. How's the dog?!!
I'm not sure I have heard that story, crafty! And EW!
Post a Comment