Monday, October 18, 2010

Probably shouldn't take the same approach to running...

Guess what's a thousand times tougher than planning a wedding?  Incorporating a dog into your household when your workplace implodes (not really, but it feels that way) and you end up working tons more hours than you did when you didn't also have to schedule 4 miles of walking every day, no exceptions.

You could say I'm a little frazzled.  And grumpy.

I miss lots of stuff I don't have time for right now.  I've made up for lost time in one area, though: cooking. In the past 24 hours, I've made:

pizza with mushrooms and caramelized onions (yummy)

chicken, leek, and potato soup (good, but nothing to write home about)

Black beans and rice (always good, even, apparently, when you're out of onions)

stuffed shells (to stock the freezer of some new-parent friends)

string bean ricotta casserole (ditto)

And we've still got ingredients to use up for ham and swiss quiche and shrimp scampi later this week.  Well, more likely this weekend, to be realistic.  I don't expect to be home from work in time to make quiche any night this week.

(Note:  Yes, The Awesome Husband is more than capable of cooking.  Yes, he has dinner covered most evenings of late.  My point is that I enjoy cooking, and *I* want to have time to cook quiche.  Harumph.)

3 comments:

Bread and Circuses said...

I'm in your corner babe, I love you!

Our Little Beehive said...

I found the Feens a little overwhelming at first too. Not at all like my old lady who just need a short walk around the farm! But I've found that dogs are fabulous to run with, and that a couple mile walk one day can be made up with a 3 or 4 mile run the next. He'll forgive you and it won't make him go nuts (or at least it hasn't made Feeney go nuts as I thought it might). The chuck-it and a park is my "I have no time" stand-by (we have a zap collar just in case F strays, he responds to just tones, it works amazingly well for the command "come". It's the best dog purchase I've made.) And of course audio books make the walks go by so much faster and help cross "read book club book" off the to-do list. xoxo

craftosaurus said...

Oh, we'll certainly be running with Cecil once my knees stop hurting (again. argh.) Thankfully for now, even when I'm in "I have not time" mode, Awesome Husband is available to go for long walks and get the pup all tired and calmed down. Heaven help us when we're both employed again. :)