Ohmygoodness, ohmygoodness, ohmygoodness. I just wrapped up one of the best weekends I could have hoped for. This post is likely to be full of soaring and poetic narrative detailing over-optimism, sheer joy, and blatant avoidance of all things remotely negative. If any of these things bother you, I suggest you stop reading now. Otherwise, chipperness ahoy!
Mr. Terrific and I spent Friday evening with a lovely group of his coworkers. Great people, all very welcoming, friendly, and just plain fun to be around. Awesomeness points: hundreds.
On Saturday, we made some progress on the old house front. The corners of one particularly awkward hallway (over a staircase) that I couldn't reach are now officially painted. Hooray for Mr. Terrific being taller than I am. Awesomeness points: several.
In the afternoon, it was strongly suggested that I take a nap (insert another few awesomeness points for that), in preparation for a surprise adventure in the evening. Mr. Terrific had asked me a few weeks ago to block out the day and he managed to keep me thoroughly perplexed about why, refusing to refer to the plan as anything other than just "the surprise." We got in the car in the early evening and I was assigned to navigation assistance, as the directions were of no help in deciphering the substance of the destination ("Brownfield?! What the heck's in Brownfield?").
Pulling into the parking lot (and I use the term loosely... dirt road and adjacent field, more like) wasn't helpful, either. The adorable farmhouse exterior gave no indication that we were about to walk into a gorgeous, serene, cathedral-ceilings-with-timber-frame-exposed-beams, 200-seat performing arts venue to see a primarily acoustic show by quite possibly my favorite band. [For those of you reading from a geographic distance, if you've not yet discovered the
Rustic Overtones, good lord, you need to check them out. Seriously. Now. Please? For me? It will make my so happy to know I've shared their fantabulousness with others.]
And what a show it was. Such palpable excitement and energy from the two hundred of us who wanted to be there enough to make the long trek over back roads not even navigable via GPS technology. Such talent on the stage, fantastic songwriting, and amazing musicianship. I've got a special place in my heart for any band with a horn line, but these guys are over-the-top talented. And the singer? Dude has got control over his voice, yo.
I might be slightly biased, what with the fact that Rustic Overtones provided much of the sountrack of the early years of my adulthood. To be fair, though, Mr. Terrific, who's been skeptical of the extent of their talents, was mightily impressed Saturday night and may be won over as a convert in the near future. Regardless of whether my perception of their fabulosity was accurate, for me, enjoying the show was an electric, soul-nourishing experience. It's the sort of thing that might, I suspect, only be fully appreciated by those who've had the opportunity to feel the rush of being showered in appreciative applause (which I've only had an inkling of in comparison, to be fair). Listening to expertly performed music so energetically good that my face hurt from smiling and my hands hurt from clapping made my soul decidedly un-hurty. Awesomeness points: a gazillion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Your posts are always such a pleasure to read. I can actually see you beaming through the computer. Glad you had such a great weekend!!
So evidently I don't know how to post comments.... sorry if you got this twice. Anyway, your posts are always such a pleasure to read and instantly put me in a good mood. I can actually see you beaming through the computer. Glad you had such a great weekend!!!
Yay, I'm glad to brighten your day! And see, you DO know how to post comments. ;)
Post a Comment