Friday, May 22, 2009

Produce Department in the Backyard

Soon. Hopefully.

It was 90 degrees yesterday. The lowest forecasted overnight temperature on the horizon is 47. I'm thinking it's safe to say we're past frost danger.

Well, we better be, because what was left of the veggie seedlings went in the ground this week. 64 square feet of raised bed gardens, done and planted! Here's the inventory:

Kohlrabi
Two varieties of peas
Spinach
Two varieties of lettuce
Beets
Radishes
Leeks
Scallions
Cucumbers
String beans
Tomatoes
Peppers
Watermelon
Canteloupe

We're also trying to figure out a good one or two types of permanent fruit plants for the yard. Contenders are strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Rumor has it that blueberries love acidic soil, and we've got plenty o' that, so the decision might be made for us. You know what else we've got plenty of, though? Birds. Which might mean that regardless of the kind of fruit grown, the net volume making its way to human mouths could be nil.

I'd also love to plant asparagus. I'm pretty sure it requires full sun, though, and I'm not sure if there are any reliably sunny spots on the property other than along the front of the house. As fantastic as he is, I don't think Mr. Fantastic is necessarily on board with the idea of having tall, feathery, wispy foliage permanently in front of the house.

2 comments:

E said...

Raspberries spread like crazy, so if you are into super long term and kind of everywhere, that might be perfect.

Gina V's mom has a bunch of high bush blueberries in her yard, and they have such high yields that the birds don't stand chance keeping up with it.

I don't know if this helps. We are putting our seedlings in the ground this weekend. I am so excited!

craftosaurus said...

Oooh, good to know! Super long term and kind of everywhere sounds just about right. :) Also nice to know the birds don't chow down fast enough for it to be disappointing.

Good luck with the plants this weekend!