Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Part Deux: With a Sunday to Match

I wasn't kidding when I said I had an exceptional weekend. You've already heard how great Saturday night was, and while Sunday was very different, it was equally lovely.

The Awesome Fiance and I took an hour-long boat ride to spend the day visiting one of my closest friends. We live in an area that's generally pretty scenic, as areas go: nice architecture in the downtown area, city parks with beds of tulips or roses, depending on the season, that sort of thing. I gotta say, though, the islands off the northern New England coast take the cake -- so, so, so beautiful. And, lucky us, we got to spend most of the day on one. The Awesome Fiance was kind enough to snap a photo; note the new spring vegetation and birch trees in the background!



After a ferry ride back to the mainland, The Awesome Fiance and I fired up the grill and ate dinner out in the backyard: hot dogs and broccoli slaw (thank you, Smitten Kitchen!) and a few menacing but ultimately inconsequential raindrops. Then he got a fire going in our free-standing fire pit, so we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores! Oh yes we did! Realio, trulio, campfire s'mores. And, because a fire does not simply extinguish itself once it no longer senses the presence of marshmallows, we *had to* sit and watch it for an additional hour or so of soothing (pyromaniacal?) enjoyment.

A yard with a fire pit, and table, a grill, a hammock, and a garden: highly recommended. Having super-great friends who live on islands is great, too, but the key, really, is the super-great friends part.

No comments: