Our first day there, we stopped at a vineyard. Not, like, a vineyard in the sense of "a place where you sample wine and eat food and buy souvenirs" or anything, but a big field of grape vines. We were clearly in wine country, because grape fields were everywhere.
Another day, we went to Burg Falkenstein (which I believe translates to Falconstone Mountain), to explore the ruins of an old castle dating back to the year 1135.
The next day brought us to Trier, the oldest city in Germany. The main historical feature of Trier today is the Porta Nigra ("black gate"), the only of four city gates built during the Roman Empire surviving today. The city itself was fun, too -- lots of people walking around and soaking up the sunshine. It was more touristy than any other place we went, but that was ok. European tourists are still more interesting that American tourists.
One last fun place we went was a tower called Ludwigsturm on Donnersberg ("Thunder Mountain," I believe). The view from the observation deck at the top was, according to The Awesome Husband's camera, pretty great, but I only climbed until the cement stairs ended and the metal stairs began. Walking down a spiral staircase with stairs you can see through didn't sound like my idea of fun.
I'll spare you all more photos of other random cute little German towns we stopped in. It was definitely a fun week!

No comments:
Post a Comment