Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Our trip to Germany: cuisine

I'll do a separate post tomorrow about the places we went and the sights we saw in Germany, but first things first: we ate really well. I didn't get a picture of everything (the Chicken Gorgonzola, in particular, haunts me still), but I snapped enough food and beverage photos to do a culinary post much like I did after our honeymoon.


Hefeweizen!




Served in a hefeweizen glass!



One more hefeweizen for good measure.



The other main category of beer options was the pilsners. The Bischoff brewery wasn't far from where we stayed.



Bitburger, another maker of pilsners, also offers cola-beer (pilsner mixed with cola): definitely the most surprising beer find of the trip.



Lest you think we shunned solid food in Deutschland, here's a sampling of the confections we enjoyed:

apfelkuchen



mokkatorte



The list of cakes at this cafe was particularly impressive.



black forest cake



Miraculously, I found it within myself to choose a cup of tea to pair with my black forest cake, thus declining the highly-recommended hot chocolate with rum in it. Not sure how I managed that one. I suppose rather than questioning it, I'll just chalk it up to a win for moderation. Or something.

As they say in Germany, "prost!"

6 comments:

Katie said...

Mmm, hefeweizen + cakes -- sounds like a good excuse to go to Germany. Looking forward to seeing more of your trip!

Farmer Jo said...

You are so cute! Beer and cake sounds great to me!

craftosaurus said...

Thanks, you guys! I swear, we did more than eat and drink. :)

Lynn said...

I loved eating in Germany. Did you have any schnaeballen????

L said...

Yum! I can't wait to see the rest of the posts!

craftosaurus said...

Lynn, nope, but from the looks of Google, I totally missed out!

L, I'm hoping to get the next post written today. :)