Ah, you remarkably complex, maddening, wonderful shade of blue paint with a touch of gloss. Nine times out of ten, at least, you look hideous in photographs. All reflecty and cold and weird and just generally inaccurate (which is to say, no, we did not in fact paint four walls in our house a cold, weird shade of blue that's hideous in person). But oh, that rare successful photograph that captures you perfectly is ever so worth it. Thank you, natural light.
Anyway. My shoulder there in that photo is wearing my finished Surface sweater. It fits, I like the sleeves, and I think I'll like the torso when I've perfected the button/buttonhole combination. Right now I have cute little buttons on it, but the buttonholes are too big to adhere to them, and I'll need to sew them up soon. Suffice it to say, I'm not a fan of the finished product worn open. So here it is with the help of some straight pins.
In other news, I inadvertently made a southern themed, albeit thoroughly unauthentic, dinner tonight. Pork in homemade barbecue sauce (being from New England, I'm sure I'm using that term entirely incorrectly), roasted sweet potato wedges, and roasted kale.
Yes, roasted kale. I'd heard about it a few weeks ago, pondered, schemed, and finally bit the bullet and gave it a whirl. Verdict: fantastic. If you'd like to try it as well, here's whatcha do: whisk together a few tablespoons of vegetable oil (I used canola), at least as much rice vinegar, a couple healthy shakes of garlic powder, and several healthy shakes of cumin. Drizzle this over a batch of raw kale (um, maybe a pound? two pounds? however much you have, keeping in mind that what looks like way too much roughage for any one person to consume will cook down to a fraction of its former size), washed and dried (or at least not sopping wet), then toss to coat. Spread it out over a couple cookie sheets and pop it in the oven at 400 degrees for ten-ish minutes. It'll get all crispy and delicate and delicious. Trust me. Or, ya know, don't, and cook it to see for yourself. If I've spread the gloriousness of roasted kale to even one person, my work here is done.
You're welcome.

4 comments:
Yum! (and *heart* the sweater!) We like our kale grilled with olive oil, fresh garlic, and a pinch of red pepper flake, but this is a new one to try :)
I'm scared of red pepper flakes (am a spice wimp of the highest order), but the grilling and the fresh garlic sound wonderful. Thanks for the idea... and the sweater compliment! :)
Here's my question: is it something that you can have as leftovers, or does it lose it's crisp, so it's only good for a one-time shot?
Hmm, I'm not sure how well it would work as leftovers. Honestly, it was too tasty to so much as contemplate leftovers. It also takes up much less volume in cooked form, so a big ol' batch of raw kale might look like a lot and still be the perfect amount once roasted.
Post a Comment