Thursday, August 28, 2008

Is it nap time yet?

First, let me say that I was so impressed with Joe Biden's speech last night. I'm sorry to say that I don't know as much about him as I should, but MAN, did he seem like a genuine, quality human being. While I ordinarily find personality to be less important, theoretically, than ideology in a politician, for a vice presidential nominee, I think one's perceived personality takes on greater significance. Also, if that's what (a lot of) voters are going to base their decisions on, so much the better that a man appearing to be of great intellectual substance is also going to be able, it seems, to tap into that "I have to vote for someone I can connect with" sentiment. [Which is not to say that I think the media's portrayal of Obama as suffering from connectivity problems is accurate... rather that a ticket with two, count 'em, TWO intelligent, genuine, likeable people is a good, good thing.]

Bottom line: when I was watching Biden, then Biden and Obama, I couldn't stop smiling. And I'm typically pretty unemotional about politics.

But for crying out loud, do the powers that be need to schedule the big speeches for 10:30 at night? I am old, apparently, and can't handle a week's worth of this up-past-ten nonsense. I know, I could probably find the footage after the fact via the interwebs, but it just isn't the same.

Must go and forage for some caffeine...

No comments: