Thursday, March 1, 2012

tasty vittles

Have I mentioned that we've become those people? The kind of people who feed their dog raw food, to be exact.

It's actually much easier than the few months when we were cooking his food. Oh, that was a nightmare. Every few weeks we'd run out of puppy meatloaf at the end of the day and realize that a new batch needed to be baked up before we could go to sleep.

With raw food, it's just a matter of taking a few tupperware containers out of the fridge and putting some of the contents of each into his dish. Some chicken livers. A bit of butternut squash (what? it helps his tummy stay happy). A few pieces of raw meat with bones in it (emphasis on raw, as cooked bones can be dangerous).

YUM!


Every time the meat portion of his meal involves a drumstick, a little part of me thinks we should have an oil painting commissioned of Mr. Cecil in Henry VIII garb...

But I digress.

It's working out really well for us so far. He has more energy (though I suppose it's tough to compare to when he had heartworms in his system), and he doesn't EVER turn up his nose at meals anymore. The sound of chicken bones being crushed by the force of his jaws and teeth has certainly taken some getting used to, though, I will say that.

Incidentally, we got past a lot of our concerns by reading this book that our vet recommended. (I won't get any benefit whatsoever if you buy the book through that link, it was just the easiest way to show it to you.)

But that's not to say that you have to go the raw food route in order to be a good pet owner. I mean, our cat eats dry food from the grocery store.

... hmm. Maybe that's why she hates Cecil.

3 comments:

Bread and Circuses said...

I'm chuckling picturing him dressed in crushed red velvet robes, knickers and leggings, a crown and scepter....the regal one.

L said...

So is it more or less expensive than regular dog food?

craftosaurus said...

I think it depends on which dog food you'd be comparing it to. Anything available from the grocery store would probably be cheaper. Our vet was pretty insistent that Cecil should be eating "fancy" dog food (more meat, less fillers), though, so at that point the raw food is pretty much a wash, cost wise. We buy whatever's super cheap based on what's on sale. If we're prepping meat for humans, the raw scraps (gristle, fat) goes to his next meal, too.