Monday, August 17, 2009

Best part? We didn't capsize!

This weekend was a whirlwind and a half. I'd tell you what we did Friday evening, but it feels so long ago that I don't even recall.

Saturday was canoeing day. Canoeing and fishing, specifically. I maintained my perfect record and still have not caught anything more than a lily pad to date. But it was a lovely day out in the rural part of the state, and I saw plenty of fishes jumping around near the surface of the water. That must count for something, yes?

Sunday morning (read: Sunday before the sweltering temperatures arrived), we did yard work. Irises were divided and tulip bulbs were planted. I'm antsy to see how they'll look in bloom where we placed them, but for now the vivid crimson dahlias will have to tide me over. They're gorgeous, but no, I didn't remember to take a picture.

And then... guess what we did? We kayaked in the OCEAN. For reals. Oh, it was so much fun. Even when we ventured a little ways away from the shore and encountered a bit of chop (after which we promptly turned around), it was exciting and relaxing (yes, both) and not as scary as I'd thought. We paddled around near some adorable little sailboats on moorings, and pointed and exclaimed at nearby waterfowl, and just generally enjoyed being on the surface of the Atlantic.

2 comments:

L said...

Good for you! I have kayaked on the ocean several times, and I still find it intimidating. I wish we had our own kayaks so we could get out and do it more -- then maybe I wouldn't be so intimidated by it!

craftosaurus said...

To be fair, we didn't venture very far from shore at all. A daredevil I'm not! :)