I'm signed up for a 5k road race in two weeks. I've done a few 5ks several years ago, and I actually signed up for this particular race last year but didn't end up running in it for various reasons. I'm determined to keep that from happening again this year. A couple months ago, I made a point to make my trips to the gym treadmill-focused without overdoing it, causing shinsplints, and bringing myself back to square one. I came to the realization yesterday that - uh oh! - this thing is coming up on the horizon alarmingly fast (which phrase, of course, has nothing to do with how I run). My mile-and-a-half or two-mile treadmill outings of late aren't going to cut it if I have any hope for not thoroughly embarassing myself at the race. I know I'm going to be among the slowest of the slow (always am!), but I'd like to finish the thing, and finish in a time that's at least not humiliating. For me, 33 minutes would be keep me out of humiliationsville. Half an hour would be fantastic, but I'm not sure if it's realistic for me, at least for this particular event.
Anyway, I went to the gym today and set out to get my muscles and psyche used to the idea of running for thirty minutes at a time at a slightly uncomfortable speed and level of exertion. It was great! So so so great. I mean, yeah, I got bored at various points and tired at a lot of other points, but the treadmill screen tally at 3.1 miles was a lovely sight. Today's "ok, I'll run a little while longer" moments brought to you by "Take the Power Back" by Rage and "Toxic" by Britney Spears (don't judge, it's up-tempo and very motivating).
Now I'm exhausted and a little hurty, but in the best possible way. Time to make a batch of broccoli-cheddar soup. Today's a good day.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment