Today at the gym, I finally had a successful treadmill outing. I used to treadmill all the time and prefer it to running outside, actually (how far have I gone now? ok, how 'bout NOW?). At some point, though, I got accustomed to running on the street, in part, I think, because by running away from one's final destination, you're somewhat guaranteed a more respectable amount of total miles because, hey, you've got to run back to your starting point before you can stop. Otherwise, I am NOT good at making myself keep running when I don't feel like it.
This street running worked splendidly through the middle of January (I know, I was amazed, too!), but now the air is consistently below freezing and the roads are snowy, icy, and generally slippery. So back to the treadmill it is.
The transition hasn't been fun, to say the least. Either my calves were in pain because of the adjustment, or I'd get this weird motion-sickness thing, or I'd just plain get BORED without changing scenery to look at. But today, today, it finally clicked again. My MP3 player, set to shuffle, gave me a bunch of high-energy songs to keep me motivated, and I pushed myself to run faster, rather than just going through the motions and calling it a day.
And I managed not to fall off the back of the 'dmill, slamming into the concrete wall in an amazing display of klutziness. I always consider this a victory.
Friday, February 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I must say... I am the opposite. I can't seem to get the hang of running on pavement. My legs and feet hurt like crazy, and I don't feel like I'm going nearly as fast as I should be. about a month ago I actually ran a full mile for the first time since high school and it felt damn good (even though it was on the treadmill)!
Post a Comment