Sunday, October 7, 2012

from the garden: sweet potatoes

And when I say "from the garden," I mean "from a grocery bag that sat in the driveway all summer."
I grew sweet potato slips by suspending one in water at the end of the winter.  Then I planted a couple slips in a grocery bag filled with soil, watered infrequently, and crossed my fingers.
What do you know, we have usable sweet potatoes to show for it.  Next year I might put in more (or any) effort and see if the results are even better.

3 comments:

Cameron said...

you can DO that?

We are so trying that next year. I am having success regrowing a potted celery heel, so sweet potatoes in a bag is right up my alley!

Farmer Jo said...

So cool!

craftosaurus said...

Yep, you can do that! To be more clear, it was a reusable grocery bag (not a plastic bag) with a couple holes in the bottom for drainage. You could probably use any large container. I'm sure they'd grow directly in the ground, but harvesting from a container is so much easier: just tip it over!