Wednesday, April 30, 2008

*shakes fist at the heavens*

I planted my vegetable garden last week. We'd had lots and lots of (well, several) 65+ degree days in a row, and overnight temperatures were in the 40s and 50s, so I figured it was safe. I figured wrong.

It was below freezing last night. I had to scrape ice off my car this morning. Not just a film of frost, mind you, ice (it rained last night). Tomorrow is May, people! There should be no scraping of ice when it's almost May.

I'm crossing my fingers that the seedlings I planted will be tough enough to bounce back (tomatoes, cucumbers, and cantaloupe - anyone know if that's wishful thinking?) and that the seeds in the ground will still germinate. I suppose I could read the seed packets and see if any of the instructions include the phrase "as soon as the soil can be worked," but I'll probably just wait and see.

*much grumbling and stomping of feet*

No comments: