Sunday, July 15, 2012
From the garden: zucchini!
This is the first season I've grown zucchini. Years ago, when I lived in an apartment and had a community garden plot, I remember walking by someone else's zucchini plants and marveling at how much space they took up. I made a mental note not to give up so much valuable real estate for a crop I didn't particularly care for, anyway.
Last summer, though, I discovered the deliciousness that is marinated grilled zucchini. So we bought kind of a lot of it. And when we buy a lot of something that could realistically be grown in zone 5, I start thinking about whether we should add it to the garden.
And so, this year, there are four zucchini plants in the garden. They're doing really well!
Much to my great and pleasant surprise, they seem to be a relatively efficient use of space; there are so many little zucchinis on each plant. A few of them might even be ready to eat this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I got little A-frame trellises at Lowes that my zucchinis and summer squash and cucumbers grow on (and over and under and around....) They help keep the vines from completely taking over the entire garden bed.
What's really interesting (and surprising) to me is that ther zucchini plants don't climb or trail.
(We planted cukes and butternut squash, but they're, shall we say, not in need of trellises yet. If ever'm)
Post a Comment