Instead, I took Mr. Cecil for a long walk through the neighborhood, then I spent an hour mowing the lawn and another hour using a pair of garden shears to clean up the edges of the grass -- around the raised beds, around the flower beds, around the fire pit, around the hammock post. Our yard has a lot of lawn mower obstacles.
Crossing the 5k off my list of things I had to do this weekend was an excellent decision. I felt guilty for about two seconds, and then I just felt... not miserable. It was lovely.
By the time I raked all the grass clippings up and added them to the compost, it was still early enough in the day to be a little foggy and damp. (See? Good decision. Lawn mowed by 9:00am.) I took the lid off the compost bin and found this little guy chillin' on the inside.
Mind you, when I say "little," I mean "as long as the palm of my hand is wide." Kinda cool in a thank-god-I-didn't-touch-it-by-accident sort of way.

4 comments:
Is that a banana slug?
Ooh, is there such a thing?
I'm most impressed that you rake up your grass clippings.
I am incredibly lazy.
Oh, I too am lazy! I never ever rake grass clippings from the mower. I should have specified: what I raked were the foot-and-a-half lengths of grasses I'd clipped by the handful from the corners of the yard. Honestly, there's still quite a bit of it strewn across the front yard, but I was able to motivate myself to rake the stuff in the back because it was making the yard look so much better.
When The Awesome Husband came home, I was bouncing up and down, bragging about how "I raked most of it up! And I put away all the tools and *everything*!" because it's so, um, out of character for me.
So yeah, I feel ya. Lazy.
Post a Comment